DEP's Contaminated Soils Forum was originally established in 1998 to provide an open forum for
external and internal interested parties. In response to numerous requests, the forum has been re-established and renamed Contaminated
Media Forum to provide that open forum and to come to consensus on how to apply the lessons learned from Risk Based Corrective Action (RBCA)
implementation over the last several years.
Contaminated Media Forum
The Contaminated Media Forum serves as a venue for interested parties to discuss a wide variety of topics relating to evolving
policy, scientific, and application issues associated with contaminated site cleanup and the re-use of a variety of media using risk-based
management principles. Initial workgroups have been established to make recommendations on Background; Direct Exposure, Institutional
Controls/Engineering Controls and Leachability; ECO Risk; and 62-777/CTLs. In addition, the forum will hold meetings throughout the
state at later dates.
Next Contaminated Media Forum Meeting
When: July 22, 2015 from 9:00 am until no later than 4:00 pm
Where: Room 609, Bob Martinez Center, 2600 Blair Stone Rd, Tallahassee
The meeting will also be available by webinar and teleconference.
Details: Draft Agenda
Focus on issues for updates to Chapter 62-777, F.A.C., Contaminant Cleanup Target Levels.
Notes and Materials from the 10/16/14 Meeting:
Note: Due dates for most items extended to 12/12/14
Application of Direct Exposure Soil Cleanup Target Levels
The Department is posting this document for comment and discussion at the next Contaminated Media Forum Meeting:
Chapter 62-780, F.A.C., Supplemental Guidance for Application of Direct Exposure Soil Cleanup Target Levels for Subsurface Soils
Probabilistic Risk Assessment Subgroup
Notes and Materials from the 06/23/14 Meeting:
A follow up meeting will be scheduled for further discussion of PRA issues.
Original announcement and agenda
The recent changes to Chapter 62-780, F.A.C., to clarify the requirements for preparing Probabilistic Risk Assessments (PRAs)
has led to the formation of a new subgroup of the Contaminated Media Forum to discuss issues regarding parameters and input
assumptions for PRAs. Specific topics to be addressed are:
- Testing the reliability of back-calculated outputs (run forward calculations to see if results match)
- PRAs based upon both variability and uncertainty distributions and 2D-PRA approaches
- Distributions (uniform, triangular, etc.) based on professional judgment due to lack of available data
- Distributions for toxicity values and toxic equivalency factors
- Exposure start age, and focus on protection of children for other exposure factors
- Adjusting the soil ingestion distribution
- Relative Bioavailability (literature-based variability distributions versus site-specific bioavailability studies)
Presentations from the February 27, 2014 Meeting
Historical Contaminated Soils Forum Meetings
Historical Methodology Focus Group Meetings